Reed diffusers are a great way to scent your home. Unfortunately most shop-bought ones contain synthetic fragrance oils, which can smell really artificial and may irritate those with asthma, allergies or sensitivities. Making your own aromatherapy reed diffuser with essential oils is a great alternative and is really simple to do.
You will need:
- A glass diffuser bottle (you can buy these from places like Amazon and eBay, or if you have any old reed diffuser bottles lying around you can wash them thoroughly and reuse them)
- Reed diffuser sticks (available from Amazon or eBay)
- Essential oils.
How to make:
- Fill the bottle with water (you can also add a little pure alcohol such as vodka to help the essential oils diffuse faster).
- Add around 30-50 drops in total of essential oils. You may find you need to add more drops for essential oils with a subtle aroma and less for the stronger ones.
- Add a few reed sticks to the bottle – 5-7 is a good number depending on the size of your bottle. The more reeds you add, the stronger the aroma will be.
- Place your reed diffuser in an area of your home out of reach of children and pets.
- Flip the reeds after a few hours, then again every day or so to renew the scent.
Because homemade aromatherapy reed diffusers usually don’t smell as strong as shop-bought ones, they work best when placed in smaller rooms such as your bathroom, or an area that you walk by regularly. I have suggested some blends below but the great thing about making your own aromatherapy reed diffusers is that you can play around with scents and use any essential oils you wish! Although a blend of three oils always works well, you can use just one or two oils if you prefer.
Relaxing Aromatherapy Diffuser Blend
Uplifting Aromatherapy Diffuser Blend
- 20 drops sweet orange essential oil
- 10 drops bergamot essential oil
- 10 drops may chang essential oil
Energising Aromatherapy Diffuser Blend
Let me know if you need any help or advice!